Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Poetry Magazine: Published Work

Insincerity
   by: Carla Marie
{ http://www.poetrymag.com/poem.php?id=1563&listtype=1 }

Sweetness is the weapon of choice
Used by you
To lull me
Into complacency,
Sex me
Into assumed feelings,
Titillate me
Into counterfeit impressions

The kind of hurt that your weapon brings
Is the kind of hurt
That ultimately
A fool like me
Cannot even
Cry her way through…

Sweetness is the weapon of choice
Used by you
To sing me
Into Artificial Notions
Affirm me
Into contrived emotions
Tranquilize me
Into false belief

The kind of hurt that your weapon brings
Vacillates between
Insult and indignation
Insult
That you underestimate my intelligence
Indignation
That you continually choose
Hamburger over
Steak
… Metaphorically speaking

Sweetness is the weapon of choice
Used by you
To fool me
With the tenet
That I am a well loved woman

Your sweetness is an effective weapon

For a while…

But your sweetness is insincere

And insincerity

Has no staying power

1 comment:

  1. I like the sentiment. Do you know the old song, "You Call Everybody Darling"?

    ReplyDelete