Wednesday, February 23, 2011

On Revisions...

For most people, when told to make revisions to a piece that they have written whether it be a peom, a story, an esaay so on and so forth, they make what I call surface changes (i.e grammatical or mechanical changes). For me however, revisions are extensive changes that are applied throughout a piece. If an idea, image, character, or scene need to be developed, re-written, or deleted entirely, I do so; but i can only do so after I have had a few different people read my work. Than and only than, do I make alterations based on the feedback from readers. I find that if I re-read my own work, I do not catch half of the mistakes or changes that need to be made that others do when they read. Revisions are an author's chance to enhance and perfect (and I use that word loosely) a piece of writing.

                                                                                                                           -W.G. Roo

No comments:

Post a Comment